Saturday 21 July 2012

The Dark Knight Rises, exciting times ahead and clothing Dilemmas

I went to see The Dark Knight Rises yesterday, I really loved it and I heartily recommend you all go to see it! If you liked The Dark Knight, you love this too, even without Heath Ledger.

Onto the exciting times ahead:

I've been wanting to visit a club called Slimelight in London, since I first heard of it when I was a very little babybat; It's a goth club that has been running since 1987 and plays a mixture of Trad goth, EBM and other electronica over 3 rooms and has members worldwide. In the past I have never had the opportunity to go but I'm finally going next weekend =]

This is part of the clothing dilemma situation:
I'm currently in a tizz going 'OMG! What to wear? Everyone there will look so awesome! How am I going to live up to that???'

So watch this space for clubbing outfit ideas!

The other half of my clothing dilemma is something I really need opinions on:

I went shopping with my mum the other day and she took my into Topshop. I normally don't shop there unless I get given a gift token because it's expensive and a lot of the time I struggle to find anything I would wear.

But this time when I walked in, I saw this:

I got so distracted by the adorable collar and sleeves that I didn't notice the price, or the fact it wasn't actually a dress, but a playsuit until I got into the changing room!

I was pretty upset; I don't wear shorts. Ever. I would feel really self-concious showing that much leg! I did however try this on; I was already in the changing room so thought I might as well.

I like it, I think it's adorable, Wednesday Addams-esque and it did suit me; at least the top half did! I'm still unsure about the shorts! Maybe with very opaque black tights it would be OK?

So I need your opinions, before I spend a practically obscene amount of money!

How do you find the confidence to wear something you'd normally shy away from?

Is it worth the risk that I'll buy it and then never wear it?

Is it ever justifiable to spend this much on an item of clothing when your income is low?

11 comments:

  1. It *is* cute. I think it would look fine with opaque black tights, but if you are really that self conscious, you could cut off the shorts and hem it into a shirt or dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it was cheap I would totally do that; but cutting up something I paid a lot for is not an option really!

      Delete
  2. If it bugs you you could wear a skirt over the top of it, especially if it's a very short skirt as it would retain your modesty. :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could really work; I'll bear that in mind but I'm still unsure because of the price!

      Delete
  3. The collar is amazing, it really reminds me of Wednesday Addams and I think you could rock it with opague black tights. The price however is indeed ridiculous and if you don't feel perfectly happy in it you shouldn't buy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe if it I see it in the sale I'll get it but until then... I remain undecided. I might have to try it on again before I write it off though!

      Delete
  4. I think it's adorable and would look fabulous with black opaque tights and Doc Martens! But I agree with the Countess - in my experience, whenever you're even slightly unsure about an outfit, it inevitably ends up at the back of the closet, and you end up kicking yourself repeatedly for spending that obscene amount of money on something you'll never be comfortable wearing. Besides, you shouldn't worry about "living up to other people's expectations" ... just go and have fun. Life is too short to worry your pretty head about that other nonsense. Take it from someone old enough to actually BE your mother... :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would look so great with Doc Martens, although it might be a little odd with mine because they are steelies that look like they survived a world war instead of a few field-trips =P

      Yeah I really don't want to regret spending the money on it and feel guilty about not wearing it.

      With Slimelight it's not so much other people's expectations I'm worrying about; I'm well aware you can't please everyone all the time. I just really want to live uo to my own expectations of how great a night it'll be after the 8 year wait!

      Delete
    2. Ugh, I'm going to have to reread my comments more closely - I'm starting to sound like MY mother! You should pretty much ignore everything I said, except for the "have fun" part...

      Delete
    3. If you sound like your mum, then not only does your mum have good taste in clothes, she gives sound advice =P

      Delete
  5. Thank you all so much for he advice =]

    ReplyDelete